Recipe provided by Presbytera Bridget
1 T Shortening
1/2 cup chopped Onion
2 T flour
1 cup chopped Green Chile*
1 can Stewed Tomatoes diced
2 cups Vegetable Broth
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 1/2 tsp Salt
Juice of one lime
* Varied amounts can be used/ also select the heat desired when purchasing your green chile
1. Heat shortening in a medium-size skillet or large pot if doubling recipe and saute onions. When they begin to soften add the stewed tomatoes and cook down until juice is gone (stirring very frequently so that tomatoes don’t burn).
2. Add green chile and cook a few minutes, stirring as well to avoid burning (browning of onions is ok).
3. Add flour and cook for a minute.
4. Slowly add liquid and seasonings and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Adjust for seasonings and add juice from lime as desired.